IIT Bhilai phd admission 2022-23, iit bhilai phd admission 2022 last date, iit bhilai phd admission 2022-23 notification, iit bhilai phd admission eligibility
About:- IIT Bhilai is an institute of national importance declared as such under the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act 2016 to provide for education and research in various branches of engineering, technology, science, and arts. The main focus of IIT Bhilai is to prepare young individuals to become professional leaders of tomorrow by imparting cutting-edge technical skills and knowledge, so that they can take on the real-life challenges in the future with confidence and maturity. IIT Bhilai is striving for research-driven undergraduate and postgraduate education. Our objective is to create an educational system with multifaceted outcomes, including research, entrepreneurship, technical leadership, and above all, responsible citizenship.
Important Dates for IIT Bhilai PhD Admission 2022-23
|1.||Start date of application (online only)||October 05, 2022 (10:00 Hrs IST)|
|2.||Last date for submitting an online application form and completing the payment||October 31, 2022 (17:00 Hrs IST)|
|3.||Entrance Tests and Interviews (Dates are tentative*)|
|Chemistry||November 26, 2022|
|Computer Science and Engineering||November 26, 2022|
|Data Science and Artificial Intelligence||November 30, 2022|
|Electrical Engineering||November 26, 2022|
|Electric Vehicle Technology||December 01, 2022|
|Liberal Arts||December 03, 2022|
|Mathematics||November 26, 2022|
|Mechanical Engineering||December 03, 2022|
|Mechatronics||December 02, 2022|
|Physics||December 03, 2022|
Application Fees for IIT Bhilai PhD Admission 2022-23
Application fee of 100 INR is applicable for SC/ST/PwD/female applicants and 200 INR is applicable for other applicants.
You can get Daily updates on Facebook and Twitter link are given below
|Our Official Telegram Channel||Join Us|
|Our Official Facebook Page||Join Us|
|Our Official Twitter Account||Join Us|
List of Available Department
IIT Bhilai invites applications for admission to PhD program in various disciplines for the session starting from December 2022.
IIT Bhilai offers PhD programs in the following disciplines.
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- Electrical Engineering
- Electric Vehicle Technology
- Liberal Arts
- Mechanical Engineering
Eligibility criteria for PhD admission
- Applicants must have ONE of the following in appropriate subject areas.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology or equivalent degree, with first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST).
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology, with first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST)
- Master’s degree in science, arts, social sciences, or equivalent degree, with first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST).
- Applicants must also fulfil ONE of the following additional requirements.
- Valid GATE Score or CSIR-UGC NET (JRF/LS) (Also refer to Table below for discipline specific criteria).
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of CSIR/ UGC/ NBHM/ DBT/ ICAR/ ICMR/ ICPR/DAE or DST INSPIRE Fellowship (Also refer to Table below for discipline specific criteria).
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience. The experience gained while acquiring a master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or experience acquired after obtaining the qualifying degree and completed before the starting of the semester in which admission is sought may be considered as professional experience.
- BTech from IIT with a CPI/CGPA of 8.0 or more.
An ongoing degree may also be considered as a qualifying degree provided the applicant graduates before the PhD program starts. Discipline specific requirements are given in Table 1.
Table 1: Discipline specific criteria for PhD admissions
|Chemistry||CSIR-UGC NET (JRF/LS) in Chemical Sciences if applicable, GATE in CY if applicable.|
|Computer Science and Engineering||GATE score in CS/ EC/ EE/ MA/ PH if applicable.|
|Data Science and Artificial Intelligence||GATE score in any engineering discipline/MA/ST, if applicable.|
|Electrical Engineering||GATE score in EE/ EC/ IN/ CS/ MA/ PH/ XE, if applicable.|
|Electric Vehicle Technology||GATE score in ME/ EE/ EC/ IN/ AE/ CY/CH/XE/XE-F/XE-C/PI, if applicable. CSIR-UGC NET (JRF/LS) in Chemical Sciences/Physical Sciences, if applicable.|
|Liberal Arts||CSIR-UGC NET (JRF/LS) in Psychology/ English/ Economics, if applicable. GATE in XH, if applicable. ICMR JRF in Social Sciences, if applicable.|
|Mathematics||CSIR-UGC NET (JRF/LS) in Mathematical Sciences, if applicable. GATE in MA/ST, if applicable. JRF in NBHM/DST-INSPIRE if applicable.|
|Mechanical Engineering||GATE score in AE/ CE/CH/ME/MT/ PI/ PH/XE or JRF in allied areas of Mechanical and Physical sciences.|
|Mechatronics||GATE Score in ME/EE/EC/PI/IN/AE if applicable.|
|Physics||CSIR-UGC NET (JRF/LS) in Physical Sciences, if applicable GATE in PH/EE/XE/ME, if applicable DST-Inspire, if applicable.|
Application categories for IIT Bhilai PhD admission 2022-23
Applicant meeting the eligibility criteria may apply for admission to the PhD program under any of the following categories.
- Sponsored external full-time
- Sponsored external part -time
- Sponsored non-external full-time
- Sponsored non-external part -time
A. Regular: Applicant applying under this category has to be a full-time scholar at IIT Bhilai and needs to be present on the campus for the duration of PhD program as per the rules of IIT Bhilai.
A regular student receives Institute Fellowship as per the norms defined by the Ministry of Education, Govt. of India.
B. Sponsored external full-time: An applicant working in industry / academic establishment / research laboratories having R&D facilities may apply under this category. A sponsored external full-time student needs to be involved in full-time research at the organization employing the student.
Such a student is expected to carry out all/major part of the research work in the organization employing the student. The employer must explicitly undertake to relieve the applicant for staying in the campus to complete the required course work. A certificate to that effect from the sponsoring organization must be provided by the applicant at the time of applying for admission. The student will be under joint supervision of a supervisor from IIT Bhilai and one from his/her parent organization. The applicant shall provide the CV of the prospective supervisor who would supervise the applicant’s work at his/her organization.
C. Sponsored external part-time: An applicant working in industry / academic establishment / research laboratories having R&D facilities may apply for admission to PhD programs as an external applicant. A sponsored external part-time student may be involved in his/her regular job assignments along with the research for PhD.
Such a student is expected to carry out all/major part of the research work in the organization employing the student. The employer must explicitly undertake to relieve the applicant for staying on the campus to complete the required course work. A certificate to that effect from the sponsoring organization must be provided by the applicant at the time of applying for admission. The student will be under joint supervision of a supervisor from IIT Bhilai and one from his/her parent organization. The applicant shall provide the CV of the prospective supervisor who would supervise the applicant’s work at his/her organization. Such applicants may apply as full-time or part-time scholars.
D. Sponsored non-external full-time: An applicant who is either awardee of research fellowship from some recognized funding agency (CSIR/ UGC/ NBHM/ DBT/ ICAR/ ICMR/ ICPR etc. or DST INSPIRE Fellowship) or is sponsored by his/her employer or is ready to self-sponsor himself/herself for the duration of PhD tenure may apply under this category. A sponsored non-external full-time student needs to be present on the campus for the duration of PhD and be involved in full-time research as per the rules of IIT Bhilai. A certificate/declaration of sponsorship from the sponsoring body (self-declaration in case of self-sponsored) must be submitted by the applicant at the time of applying for admission.
E. Sponsored non-external part -time: Professionally employed personnel such as working engineers, scientists and teachers who can, while employed, attend regular classes as per schedule of IIT Bhilai may apply for admission to PhD program under sponsored non-external part-time category. The applicant must be an employee of a recognized organization and be engaged in professional work in the area to which admission is sought. The student must be available in person for discussion/meeting with the supervisor on a regular basis. The applicant shall give an undertaking endorsed by the employer that the applicant will be relieved to attend all classes.
- Applicant applying under sponsored category (i.e., category B to E) DOES NOT receive institute fellowship.
- Applicant opting for PMRF under direct entry mode or Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme:
- If selected, program category will be changed to Sponsored non-external full-time (i.e., Category D).
- If not selected later for the PMRF/Visvesvaraya fellowship, program category of the applicant shall be considered same as that of the program category opted by the applicant initially (i.e., A to E).
- Terms and conditions for PMRF fellowship are available at: https://iitbhilai.ac.in/index.php?pid=pmrf
- Terms and conditions, research areas etc. for Visvesvaraya fellowship are available at: https://phd.dic.gov.in/
- In case, enough accommodation is not available on campus, candidates applying under sponsored category (i.e., Category B to E) may be asked to arrange their own accommodation (with/without HRA, as per institute norms) during the first semester.
Guidelines for PhD applications
- Applicants must read the instructions given in the brochure carefully before filling up the application form.
- Applicants must fill out the online application form available at Apply Now. There is NO need to send a hardcopy of the application forms.
- Separate application form is to be filled if applicants are applying in more than one discipline.
- Reservations are applicable for applicants in other Backward Class-Non-Creamy layer (OBC-NCL)/ Scheduled Caste (SC)/ Scheduled Tribe (ST)/ Person with benchmark disability (PwD) / Economically weak section (EWS) category, as per Government of India rules. Necessary supporting documents must be attached to avail such reservation during online application and the same will be verified at the time of admission.
- Applicants should complete the application form in all respects. Incomplete application will not be considered.
- Applicants MUST keep the following documents (softcopy) ready to upload during their application process:
- Academic certificates (10th/12th, UG & PG certificates, etc. whichever is applicable)
- Mark-sheet of all semesters/Consolidated mark-sheet of the qualifying degree. Result awaited applicants have to upload their latest/previous semester mark-sheet.
- Caste certificate (OBC-NCL/SC/ST), if applicable.
- Experience certificate and any other relevant documents., whichever applicable.
- Applicants are encouraged to combine all their testimonials as a single PDF file and upload the same in the application portal.
- Applicants must also provide the details of at least two well acquainted people who can provide reference letters in support of candidature of applicant. At least one of them must be an academician and must have taught the applicant.
- Applicants having degree from foreign universities should upload equivalence certificate from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi for qualifying Exam and proof of having first class or 60% (55% for SC/ST) marks or equivalent in qualifying examination.
- Applicants are advised to check the Institute website for results / important announcements. Applicants are also advised to check emails sent to the email address provided in their applications for all important communications and announcements. All communications related to admission will be communicated only through email.
- Applicants called for written test/interview should bring with them
- Photo ID Card,
- Printed copy of the application submitted online,
- Thesis / dissertation / report / publications,
- All Original certificates and mark-sheets.
Thrust Research Area (Not limited to) for PhD in IIT Bhilai
|Discipline||Broad Areas of Research|
|Chemistry||Inorganic and Organometallic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Halide Perovskite and Photo(electro)chemistry, Biomaterials, Inorganic & metal- organic chemistry, Theoretical and computational chemistry, catalysis and organic synthesis, Molecular Modeling, MD Simulations, Bioinformatics and Bioinorganic Chemistry.|
|Computer Science and Engineering||Systems and Networks: High Performance computing, Embedded computing, Edge computing, VLSI, Computer/Wireless networks, Compilers, Distributed systems, Multi-UAV systems, Scalable and Distributed Machine Learning Systems, Performance Analysis, Flying and adhoc network.|
Theoretical computer science: Algorithms, Formal Verification Methods. algorithms for mobile agents, Graph based Problems, UAV Path Planning, Graph theory.
Security: Hardware, Software, Blockchain, Quantum Computing and Quantum Cryptography, High Performance Cryptanalysis, Fault Attacks.
|Data Science and Artificial Intelligence||AI & Machine Learning: Pattern Recognition, Graph Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Explainability and Fairness in AI.|
Data analytics: Computer vision, Time Series Analysis, Analysis of multimedia data such as audio, image, and video. Analysis of remote sensing data, Medical Image Processing, Edge Analytics, Big Data Analytics and Visualization.
Social & complex network analysis: Social Computing, Network science, Information diffusion, fake news detection, community detection.
|Electrical Engineering||Communications & Systems: Computer/Wireless networks, Reconfigurable Intelligent Surfaces, Embedded systems & ML applications in IoT & Healthcare. Edge Computing applications.|
Devices: Solar cells, PV module, fabrication of large area devices, large area perovskite solar cells, perovskite photodetectors, perovskite- Si tandem solar cells, PV module reliability.
Circuit Design: VLSI and Microelectronics, Analog/Digital/Mixed signal IC Design, CMOS Image sensors, Application Specific ICs (ASICs), System-on-a-chip (SoC), CMOS image sensors, Event Based Sensors for Machine Vision, LiDAR.
Power: Application of Power electronics to power systems, Renewable Energy, Electric Vehicle.
Control & Instrumentation: Remote sensing, Bio-sensors, Digital Control. Signal Processing: Digital Speech Processing, Image Processing, Computer Vision, Signal Processing for Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), Analysis of remote sensing images/data.
|Electric Vehicle Technology||Data-driven Control, Battery Modeling, Electric Drives, Motors, Power Electronics based Control for Electric Vehicles (EV) Application, Welding for Battery Packs, Additive Manufacturing for Automotive Components, Numerical Simulation, Battery Thermal Management System (BTMS), EV Management Systems including Battery Management, Hybrid and Electric Vehicles, Battery Protection against Mechanical Abuse, Energy Storage Technologies, Battery Chemistry, Energy and Electrochemistry, Development of Electrode Materials for Battery, Battery Pack Construction.|
|Liberal Arts||Literary and Cultural Studies, Development Economics, Positive Psychology, and Positive Organizational Behavior, Political Economics, Labour economics, Hindi and Sanskrit literature.|
|Mathematics||Functional Analysis, Operator Theory, Probability Theory, Statistics, Commutative Algebra, Number Theory, Topology and Combinatorics, Operation Research, Numerical Analysis, Complex Analysis.|
|Mechanical Engineering||(a) Solid Mechanics and Design: Computational mechanics, Experimental Mechanics, Damage and Fracture Mechanics etc.|
(b) Fluid and Thermal Sciences: Microfluidics, bio-medical/healthcare devices, Multiphase flow, Heat transfer, Transport in Porous media, Droplet and Interfacial Science, Thermal hydraulics of nuclear reactor, Internal combustion (IC) Engines Alternative fuels, emissions and exhaust aftertreatment, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Boiling and Condensation, Thermal Comfort, Building Energy Efficiency, Renewable energy etc.
(c)Manufacturing and Materials Engineering: Advanced materials, Nanomaterials, composites, Lightweight materials, Metal matrix composites, High entropy alloys, High-temperature materials, Severe Plastic deformation, Powder metallurgy, Structure-Property Correlations, Surface Engineering/coating, Thin & Thick-film tribology, Advanced PVD coating for cutting tools, Bioinspired microtextured surfaces , Non-conventional machining, Micromachining, metal cutting and forming, Incremental forming, simulation of manufacturing processes, Wire-arc/additive manufacturing, Laser-based manufacturing, Casting, Welding, Friction stir processing, etc.
|Mechatronics||Online condition monitoring in advanced manufacturing processes, Microfabrication, Building mechatronics, and Intelligent buildings, AI-assisted laser-based manufacturing/metal forming, Feedback controlled material testing, Application of machine vision in mechanical testing, Portable devices for manufacturing, Pneumatic actuator systems control using thermally responsive fluids, Digital microfluidics, Maglev micro robotics, Neuromechanics and Assistive Robotics, Consensus control of UAV, Cognitive automation and Machine/Artificial Intelligence, Cooperative and adaptive mechatronics system, Computer vision, Data-driven modeling and control.|
|Physics||Thin-Film processing, Perovskite Photovoltaics- Materials, Devices and Integration; Time-Resolved Optical spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy of hybrid 2D materials and density functional theory calculations; Self-assembly and self-organization in soft matter systems, Micro- and Nanorobots/Nano motors, Nanomaterials, biomaterials and bio applications, Biosensing; Thermal Field Theory, Heavy Ion phenomenology, High Energy Physics, Astro-particle Physics, Neutrino Physics, Astrophysics and cosmology.|
STEP-I: Apply Online
Candidate has to apply online from IIT Bhilai website. After filling the details, an Application Number will be generated. Applicant should note down the Application Number. Please note that you have to upload your testimonials wherever it is required to validate your information along with your digital photograph and signature. After final submission of your online application, you will be able to generate your online application print with your specific details/data. This application print may be retained with you for future requirements.
STEP-II: Make Payment
Application fee of 100 INR is applicable for SC/ST/PwD/female applicants and 200 INR is applicable for other applicants. Payment of application fee has to be made through State Bank Collect only. Applicant to visit SBI Collect, for fees payment and select PhD Application Fee as per the appropriate challan category. The applicant has to clearly mention the application id in the correct format (Eg: ME-101) while filling-up SBI collect challan for payment. After making payment, SBI Collect will generate payment reference number (viz. DU12345678), applicant must retain a copy of SBI i-collect receipt for any future reference.
Note: Successful completion of both steps is mandatory