Get Alert On →
IIT Madras PhD and MS Admission 2023-24 Dates, Eligibility
IIT Madras: Applications are invited for July 2023 from eligible candidates for admission to Ph.D. and M.S. (by Research) programmes under regular/part-time/external schemes of IIT Madras from March 01 2023.
About: The Indian Institute of Technology Madras is known both nationally and internationally for excellence in technical education, basic and applied research, innovation, entrepreneurship and industrial consultancy. A faculty of international repute, a highly motivated and brilliant student community, excellent technical and supporting staff and an effective administration have all contributed to the pre-eminent status of IIT Madras. The Institute is proud to bear the laureate of being No.1 engineering university in India. More recently, IIT Madras has been given the title of Institute of Eminence.
- Ph.D. HTRA scholars are eligible for Institute Fellowship of Rs.31000/- per month for the first two years and Rs.35000/- per month for the next three years. In addition, they are also eligible for HRA as per GOI norms.
- MS by Research HTRA Scholars are eligible for Institute Fellowship of Rs.12400/- per month for initial 2 years + additional 6 months with specific recommendation of GTC.
Portal Open for Application: The online application portal has opened from 01 March 2023. The last date of Receipt of Online Application is 31 March 2023.
Written Test and Interview: Intimation on “written test and interview” or “interview” indicating the date, time & venue will be communicated by the respective Departments through email to the shortlisted candidates.
No hard copy application will be entertained.
- GN/EWS/OBC-NCL Male candidates : Rs.100/-
- GN/EWS/OBC-NCL Female candidates : Rs.50/-
- SC/ST and PwD candidates : Rs.50/-
List of Departments where PhD Programms available with vacant HTRA Seats:
- Aerospace Engineering-25
- Applied Mechanics-24
- Biotechnology – 25
- Civil Engineering-46
- Chemical Engineering-25
- Computer Science & Engineering-28
- Engineering Design-13
- Electrical Engineering-55
- Humanities and Social Sciences-29
- Mechanical Engineering-49
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering-22
- Management Studies-19
- Ocean Engineering-16
- Total- 500
List of Departments where MS Programms available with vacant HTRA Seats:
- Aerospace Engineering-22
- Applied Mechanics-20
- Biotechnology – 07
- Civil Engineering-20
- Chemical Engineering-10
- Computer Science & Engineering-17
- Engineering Design-08
- Electrical Engineering-40
- Mechanical Engineering-45
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering-12
- Management Studies-10
- Ocean Engineering-14
- Total- 245
Eligibility condition for PhD in IIT Madras:
Ph.D. in Engineering:
- Candidates with a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record / Master’s degree by Research in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record / 5 Year Dual Degree in Engineering or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree with a good academic record.
- 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above are exempted from qualifying in National Level Examinations otherwise with valid National Level Examination score is required.
- Candidates with Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and of exceptional merit are eligible, for the relevant Engineering disciplines (as decided by admitting departments). Candidates must have a valid GATE score or UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF or equivalent qualification in the relevant area tenable for the year of registration.
In the case of candidates with Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology AND possess more than 5 years relevant work experience after the Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology, the requirement of a test score may be waived by the Selection Committee.
Ph.D. in Sciences:
- Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and having a valid GATE score or UGCJRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/NBHM/INSPIRE/JEST or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant area.
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree are eligible with a good academic record.
- 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations otherwise valid national level examination score is required.
- Students who get more than 8.0 CGPA in M.Sc. in Science Departments of IIT Madras can be admitted directly to their Ph.D. programme in Sciences with interview at departmental level.
Ph.D. in Humanities and Social Sciences:
- Master’s degree / dual degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline other than Engineering / Technology AND Qualifying UGC – NET or JRF / CSIR-JRF / GATE Score or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant area or international level post graduate admission examination such as GRE (Non-HTRA).
OR Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree with a good academic record.
- At least 3 years of experience in research/industry in lieu of the above examination. (This clause is applicable only for Non-HTRA candidates)
Ph.D. in Management:
- Master’s degree or 2 year PG Diploma in a relevant discipline, and a Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record (minimum five years of undergraduate and postgraduate education)
OR Five year integrated master’s degree / dual degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline with a good academic record AND Qualifying in national level examinations such as GATE/CAT/UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF or equivalent
OR International level post graduate admission examination such as GMAT/GRE (Non-HTRA). At least 5 years of managerial experience in lieu of the above examination. (This clause is applicable for Non-HTRA candidates only)
- Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology with a good academic record or a Master’s degree by Research in Engineering / Technology in a relevant discipline. c) Candidates with MBA or 2 year PG diploma from Centrally Funded Technical Institute (CFTI) with CGPA of 8 and above are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
Eligibility condition for MS in IIT Madras:
MS in Engineering:
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology or a Master’s degree in appropriate Engineering / Technology /Sciences/Management with valid GATE score with a good academic record in the relevant areas.
- Candidates having Associate Membership of the following professional bodies will also be eligible for admission to the M.S. programme of their parent discipline provided they have a valid GATE score and have passed both part A and part B of the Membership examinations with a good academic record. The Institution of Engineers (India) (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics and Communications), the Aeronautical society of India, the Indian Institute of Metals, the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, the Institute of Electronics and Tele-communication Engineering and other professional bodies approved by the Senate from time to time.
- Candidates having qualified in MFT (Major Field Test) will also be eligible for admission to the M.S. programme if the concerned department opt for it.
- IIT B.Tech. candidates with a CGPA of 8.0 and above, are eligible to apply for MS Programme without valid GATE score.
- Candidates without valid GATE score will be eligible for NHTRA (Part-time/External/Project) categories as per their eligibility.
MS in Management:
A) Bachelors degree or equivalent in any professional discipline of minimum four years duration or Masters degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline, with a good academic record.
B) A good score or pass in:
- National level post graduate admission qualifying examination such as GATE for HTRA.
- International level post graduate admission qualifying examinations such as GMAT/GRE (Non-HTRA).
- At least 3 years of managerial experience in lieu of the qualifying test. (This clause is applicable for Non-HTRA candidates only)
C) Candidates having qualified in MFT (Major Field Test) will also be eligible for admission to the MS programme if the concerned department opt for it.
MS in Entrepreneurship:
- IIT Madras is widely admired as the leading Institute in India promoting Start-ups, incubation, and entrepreneurship promotion and support systems, more particularly entrepreneurial ventures of the deep technology variety, with an enviable start-up ecosystem. Offered since 1982-83, the MS (Entrepreneurship) by Research programme is India’s torchbearer among all Institutions of higher learning that have aimed to promote entrepreneurship via their programmes. Over the last four decades, it has matured steadily and strongly to emerge as a benchmark among all entrepreneurshipfocused Institutional programmes, as can be evidenced by the prestigious international and national awards and honours conferred on the scholars and their start-ups.
- Selected scholars will be guided to systematically and diligently discover entrepreneurial opportunities and formally establish their start-ups via an effective combination of taught courses, intense research supported by astute supervision, and mentorship by highly accomplished entrepreneurs and others of the start-up ecosystem.
- The minimum eligibility requirement for admission will be graduates with a B.Tech/B.E. or any postgraduate degree in appropriate Engineering/Technology/Sciences/Management stream.
- Candidates need to qualify in GATE or any of the approved national level qualifying exams eligible for scholarship. At the time of accepting offer of admission, CGPA above or equal to 8.0 for graduates from Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (including IITM) is required for waiving the requirement of qualifying in national level examinations. Under the non-HTRA category (Part-time, External and Project-NHTRA), anyone with a B.Tech/B.E. or any postgraduate degree in appropriate Engineering/Technology/Sciences/Management stream with required experience can apply.
- In addition all candidates must submit a Proposal for a start-up, which will be evaluated by the Screening Committee first, before recommending selected applications to the Admissions/Selection Committee for a one – to- one interview.
How to Apply:
- First time users must create an account with a valid email address. This email address will be used for all further correspondence related to the admission process. Do check your email regularly.
- Only applications submitted on this site with supporting documentation will be considered. Hardcopy applications or applications by email will not be considered.
- Candidates who are applying under reserved category should submit the required valid documents in the prescribed format at the time of applying.
- Candidates applying to multiple departments or programmes should use the same login ID and submit separate applications and pay the fees separately.
- For registering your application, create a new account or login into your existing account, then fill the necessary fields & upload the relevant documents in the application form and pay the requisite application fee to complete the application process.
For latest update, eligibility criteria, how to apply and other details, candidates should visit the official website of IIT Madras.
|Our Official Telegram Channel||Join Us|
|Our Official Facebook Page||Join Us|
|Our Official Twitter Account||Join Us|
official website: https://research.iitm.ac.in/index.html
[…] IIT Madras PhD and MS Admission 2023-24 Dates, Eligibility […]
[…] IIT Madras PhD and MS Admission 2023-24 Dates, Eligibility […]
Comments are closed.