NIT Rourkela PhD admission 2022-23, NIT Rourkela PhD Admission 2023 last date, NIT PhD Admission 2023 January Session, Eligibility criteria, Important dates, Application.
Applications are invited online from eligible candidates for admission to PhD Program of the Institute in Spring (January) Semester of the Academic Year 2022-23. Admission will be given preferably to the applicants who are eligible for Institute fellowship or have qualified for External fellowship. However, admission may also be considered without fellowship. Students with external fellowships like NET-JRF, CSIR, DST-INSPIRE etc. are especially encouraged to apply.
Important Dates for NIT Rourkela PhD admission 2022-23
|Application form will be available in the Institute website for online submission||26.11.2022 (Saturday) to 10.12.2022 (Saturday)|
|Publication of result of scrutiny in the website (announcement section)||17.12.2022 (Saturday)|
|Test and/ Interview (Venue – NIT, Rourkela)/online||21.12.2022 (Wednesday) & 22.12.2022 (Thursday)|
|Publication of result of Interview in the website||27.12.2022 (Tuesday)|
|Semester Registration||02.01.2023 (Monday)|
|Starting of Class / Research work||03.01.2023 (Tuesday)|
Departments available for PhD admission in NIT Rourkela
|Name of the Department||Broad Area of Research|
|Biotechnology and Medical|
|Medical Electronics & Instrumentation, Biomaterials & Tissue Engineering, Cell & Molecular Engineering, Bioprocess Engineering, Agriculture & Environmental Engineering, Biomechanics & Bio-transport.|
|Civil Engineering||Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Engineering|
|Chemical Engineering||Biochemical & Bioenergy Engineering, Catalysis and Reaction Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Energy Storage, Coal chemicals, Fluidization Engineering, Heat Transfer for Industrial Applications, Interfacial Science and Nanotechnology, Polymers and Advanced Materials, Thermodynamics & Molecular Simulations, Transport Process and Complex Fluid, Sensor and Sensing Technology, Systems Modelling and Control, Process Design and Optimization.|
|Ceramic Engineering||Ceramics, Structural Ceramics, Nano Ceramics, Bio Ceramics, Electro Ceramics, Ceramics for energy sector and environmental engineering, Refractory, Glass.|
|Computer Science &|
|AI/ML, IOT, Computer Networks, Cloud Computing WSN, Software Engineering, Computer Vision, Biomedical Signal and image processing, Cloud Security, Cryptography, Low Power VLSI, Theoretical Computer science, NLP, SDN.|
|Chemistry||Biophysical Chemistry, Organic, Materials, Bio-Inorganic, Inorganic, Organometallic, Physical, Computational, Supramolecular, Bio-organic, Nano Science, Environmental, Theoretical, Solid State, Biochemistry.|
|VLSI Design & Embedded Systems, Microwave & Radar Engineering, Signal & Image Processing, Communication and Networks, Electronics and Instrumentation.|
|Electrical Engineering||All areas of Electrical Engineering.|
|Earth and Atmospheric|
|Geology, Geophysics, Atmospheric & Ocean Sciences|
|Food Process Engineering||Food Packaging and Storage Engineering, Food Properties, Extrusion Food Quality & Safety, Computer Aided Engineering, Post-Harvest Operations, Product Development and Ingredient Innovation, Transport Process & Kinetics.|
|Humanities & Social|
|English, Economics, Sociology/Anthropology, Psychology, Sanskrit.|
|Industrial Design||Robotics, Product Design, CAD, Ergonomics Design, Assistive Devices Design, Acoustics, Vibration, DFMA, Design Applications, Interaction Design, Rehabilitation Devices Design.|
|Life Science||All areas of Life Science|
|Mathematics||Numerical Analysis, Number Theory, Differential Equation, Fractional Calculus, Probability & Statistics, Mathematical Physics, Integral Equations, Stochastic|
Process, Functional Analysis, Fractal Theory, Soft Computing, Convex and Variational Analysis, Algebraic Combinatorics, Computational Finance, Algebraic Graph Theory, Linear Algebra, Fluid Dynamics, Representation Theory, Control Theory, Lie Super Algebra, Finite Geometry, PDE
|Mechanical Engineering||Thermal, Cryogenic and Vacuum Technology, Industrial Engg. & Management, Production Engg., Machine Design and Material, Manufacturing Science|
|Metallurgical & Materials|
|Mechanical Metallurgy, Computational Materials, Process Metallurgy, , Nano-materials|
|Mining Engineering||All specialization of Mining Engineering|
|Planning and Architecture||Vernacular architecture, Climate responsive Building Design, Green Infrastructure, Environmental planning, Landscape design, Landscape planning,|
Construction Management, Urban Planning, Urban Design, Housing, Neighborhood Planning, Community Planning, Age friendly Neighborhoods/Cities, Urban amenities, Leisure amenities, Urban governance, Transport planning, Infrastructure planning, Land use planning, Global cities, City-network, Contemporary urbanization, Network analysis, Vulnerability assessment, Environmental psychology.
|Physics and Astronomy||Astronomy & Astrophysics, Classical & Quantum Chaos Theory* and Condensed Matter Physics*|
*for external fellowship only
|School of Management||Operations and Supply Chain Management, Human Resource Management, Marketing Management, General Management, Entrepreneurship, Finance.|
Eligibility Criteria of NIT Rourkela for PhD admission 2022-23
The minimum qualification required for admission to PhD programs in Engineering, Science, Planning & Architecture, Management, and Humanities & Social Sciences is one of the following:
- ME/MTech/MScEngg/MPharm/MArch/MPlan/MDes in relevant discipline with at least 6.5 CGPA or 60% marks or 1st class in both BE/BTech/BScEngg/MSc/BPharm/MCA/BArch/BDes or equivalent, and ME/MTech/MScEngg/MPharm/ MArch/MPlan/MDes from recognized Technical Institute or University.
- BE/BTech/BScEngg/MSc/BPharm/MCA/BArch/BDes or equivalent in relevant discipline with CGPA of 7.0 or 65% marks.
- MSc in Basic Sciences with CGPA 7.0 or 65% marks in relevant disciplines. For applicants with valid GATE/NET/GPAT or equivalent score, requirement may be relaxed by maximum 0.5 CGPA or 5% marks.
- MBBS/BVSc with CGPA 6.5 or 60% marks or 1st class.
- This qualification can also apply for PhD in Management and Humanities & Social Sciences: MA/MCom/MBA/MSc in Humanities and Social Sciences or Management or BTech with 6.5 CGPA or 60% marks or 1st class for PhD in Management, and Humanities and Social Sciences only
In addition to the above eligibility criteria (based on BTech, BArch, MSc, MBA, MA, MCom, MTech, MArch, MPlan, MDes and MPharm, etc. examinations), the following additional criteria will also be applicable:
- A candidate should score minimum 6.5 CGPA or 60% marks or 1st class throughout career to be eligible for admission to PhD programme. The Departmental Research Committee (DRC), however, may make exception (marks < 60% or CGPA < 6.5) at its discretion in only one among the results of 10th, +2, BA, BSc, BCom, Diploma etc. (except qualifying degree) if the candidate has qualified in GATE/NET/GPAT or other national level fellowship tests like DST-INSPIRE, etc. or joined as JRF/SRF in any research project.
- For admission to Engineering and Science disciplines (except Life Science), a candidate should have passed Mathematics in +2 Science or Diploma.
- Science students admitted to PhD programme in Engineering/Physics/ Mathematics must have passed Mathematics at +3 level. Students without Mathematics at +3 level may be admitted under the condition that they will have to register for 14 credits of 1000 and 2000 level Mathematics and 1000 level Computer Science courses (Theory and Practical) in addition to their normal course requirement, and secure at least C grade in each course.
- A student should have passed Life Science or Biological Science either at +2 or +3 level for admission to PhD in Life Science department.
However, a higher shortlisting criteria (possibly different for different departments and for different
categories of students) may be set by the Department during scrutiny of applications depending on
departmental requirement, number and quality of applicants. Therefore, merely satisfying the
minimum eligibility criteria does not guarantee a candidate to be called for interview and also mere
attending an interview does not guarantee admission.
Application Fee and Procedure of NIT Rourkela for PhD admission
Interested candidates satisfying the eligibility criteria may submit their online application in college official portal: apply now
The applicants are advised to:
- Read this advertisement and the instructions to fill up the online application form given in the online portal carefully,
- Pay non-refundable Application Fee of Rs. 500/- through SBI Collect only. No other mode of payment is acceptable. The applicant has to search SBI COLLECT -> ODISHA -> EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION -> DIRECTOR NIT ROURKELA -> APPLICATION FEE PHD PROGRAMME. Note down the SB Collect Reference Number. Application fee once paid shall not be refunded under any circumstances.
- Fill up the online application form and enter the SB Collect Reference Number in the appropriate column of Application Fee section and submit the same.
- Sponsored candidates are required to submit the scanned copy of the sponsorship certificate while submitting online application.
Applicants are NOT required to send hard copy of the application form or any other document(s) to NIT Rourkela. However, candidates who will be called for interview will be required to submit signed copy of the application form, a set of photo copies of all certificates and original Sponsorship Certificate (for Sponsored/Local Sponsored candidates only) at the time of interview. They also need to produce original certificates from HSC onwards for verification.
|Our Official Telegram Channel||Join Us|
|Our Official Facebook Page||Join Us|
|Our Official Twitter Account||Join Us|
Official website link: NIT Rourkela
Application link: Apply here
Procedure notice Pdf: Download here
Last date of application submission of NIT Rourkela for PhD admission 2022-23.
10.12.2022 (Saturday) is the last date of fee and application submission.
NIT Rourkela PhD Fees.
PhD fees of NIT Rourkela for general INR 27000/- and for sc/st INR 19,500/- for a single semester.
PhD application fees of NIT Rourkela.
INR 500/- for all category students.